Greattit's nest

 

The great tits have finally moved into the nest box and are busy nest building. After much tapping and knocking they seem to have also plugged various screw holes in the base of the bird box. Just to make sure there are no cold draughts no doubt and the way the yo-yo weather is at present that seems quite sensible. Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful brood that I will try and document over the coming weeks. Watch this space.

Update: 12042021

It has snowed again today, so as the great tits usually stop nest building during wintry weather I take advantage and take a peek inside for the first time. There is a fascinating array of materials, making it look very cosy and I note what looks like plenty sheep wool, which is no surprise having spent much of last year rescuing the sheep from the brambles. Watch this space for further updates.

Update: 09052021

 

I notice the greattits are spending more time in the nest box so I am curious to know how things have progressed since my last post 12th April. It's warm, bright and sunny today on the balcony as I sit observing the bird box for any signs of life. After half an hour with no comings or goings I decide it is safe to inspect the box. 

I tap on the box to make sure no ones at home and climb a ladder to gain access to the lid. It's impossible to see inside as the lid does not fully open and hinders my view. The only possibility is to slide my smartphone underneath the lid and hope to capture something. It takes several attempts but finally I get this photo. I am surprised to see the great tit inside and that it has made no attempt to flee. It could well be sitting on eggs so not wishing to disturb it any longer I make do with this photo. It looks pretty cosy anyway.

 Update: 19052021

 

A rather fuzzy photo of the great tits nest today. It looks like there are three chicks in the nest and one which may have expired or is sleeping outside. The cold temperatures may well be to blame as at night it is still only a few degrees above freezing. I was not expecting to see any chicks as they have not made a sound up till now but both adults have been busy bringing food, which I assumed was probably for the brooding adult. It's beautiful how they have carefully made the round nest within the box and lined the edges with soft white down.

For more fascinating viewing there is a live webcam of some blue tits nesting in Recke, Germany. Link here: Live webcam blue tits

  Update: 29052021


 I am delighted to see two chicks have survived the woodpecker attacks and they are looking very healthy and feathery. I hope that now they are feathered the woodpecker will have lost interest. Once again not a great photo as I cannot look inside the nest box and have to squeeze my smartphone under the lid hoping I have got them in view. Next year I will modify the nest box to make documentation easier and maybe install a webcam too.

On the 24th May a great spotted woodpecker snatched one of the chicks out of the nest box. The woodpecker had been attacking the nest box daily determined to get at the chicks. Interesting to note also how the adult great tits have covered the fourth chick that died soon after hatching.

Comments

  1. I see his beak is full with nice soft moss! 🤗👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts