Frosty

 

It's freezing cold today as I venture out around midday. Despite clear blue skies and sunshine all morning frost covered flora remains late into the afternoon.

As I reach the clearing for the funicular track I keep an eye out for deer, having spotted one the other day while descending in the funicular. It is not the first time I have seen them in this clearing/firebreak but I have only ever seen them through the funicular carriage windows.

From the bridge I look up and down the 50 degree slope scanning the hillside but it seems I am out of luck today. Then suddenly I see two deer bounding away into the forest for cover. They clearly spotted me first despite being at least 100m away, so all I get to see are two white tails bobbing as they vanish into the trees. It demonstrates just how alert and sensitive they are to people, so it's no wonder I rarely see them. It happened so fast I had no time to even switch on my camera before they were gone.

Frost covered fungi clings to a rotting log.

Comments

Popular Posts