Misty

 

It's cold, wet and misty today in the forest. Silent but for the occasional chirping bird and the pitter-patter of rain on my umbrella. A red squirrel darts across the path and vanishes up a tree. I scan distant mist shrouded trees, hoping to catch a glimpse of a deer silhouette or wild boar, but as ever they elude me. Not even the faint far off sound of wildlife escaping for cover as I approach. I do wonder where they all are and what they are doing. 

Later in the afternoon I venture down into town to do some shopping. While descending on the funicular I think I see a deer. What a surprise! A large dark brown deer standing proud on the steep 50 degree slope, just a few feet away from the track. As the carriage passes it does not even bat an eyelid. It was a large deer with no horns or antlers, so I assume it was a fully grown female. Interesting that deer seem fearless of large moving mechanical objects like the funicular, yet flee at the first hint of a human. Sadly I had left my camera at home.

Comments

Popular Posts