Sushi Saturday

 

It’s grey and wet and most of the snow has been washed away.

Only one thing for it, have a go at making my own sushi. So I discover via Google that frozen (wild) Salmon, once defrosted, can be used despite all this talk of sushi grade salmon, which seems to be a bit misleading. I stopped buying farmed salmon, particularly Norwegian salmon, many years ago after several documentaries put me off it. I have some carrots and avocado in the fridge but no wasabi. I julienne the carrots and avocado then parboil the carrots.

I don’t have a sushi mat and use a sheet of baking paper instead, which seems to work just as well and substitute horseradish for the wasabi.

All in all I thought they were a bit bland and that may have been due to my rather mild horseradish and not seasoning the salmon beforehand (should you do that?). However much as I like the aesthetics of sushi I have never been a great fan and the best I ever had were some really cheap ones in Taiwan that were mostly just rice but came with some great dips including of course wasabi and sushi ginger.

Will I make them again? Probably not but it’s one to tick off my to do cooking list and it did at least distract me from the depressing cold, grey weather.

Comments

Popular Posts